Chefs – Start your grills! We’re less than 2 months away from the biggest cheeseburger tournament of it’s kind in Ohio, the 3rd annual Meat 16! The rules for this year’s competition are below. Good luck to all competitors and may the best burger win!The 2018 Meat 16 Rules:
- A change for this year – restaurants are to provide the same burger recipe, all the way through the tournament.
- Burgers that are entered must appear in on restaurant’s menu, even if it is only during the tournament. Several tournament followers during last year’s tournament expressed to us on Facebook and through CD 93.3, their disappointment in not being able to try for themselves the burgers they were hearing about on the radio and Facebook, when they visited the restaurants.
- Any toppings and condiments can be used, as long as they are on restaurant’s menu, during the Meat 16.
- All burgers will be ordered medium-well.
- For, “Build-your-own,” burgers, all components used in the recipe must be listed on restaurant’s menu during the tournament.
- Restaurants are to provide a copy of the menu with a full description of the burger.
- The orders for each of the preliminary rounds will always be the same; 2 medium-well cheeseburgers, with the toppings of the restaurant’s choice, cut in half, placed in 4 to-go boxes, (that BURGERGUYZ will provide at time of pick up).
- As in the 2017 Meat 16, each restaurant will be given a time, usually between 5:00 and 6:00 PM for pick up. Orders will be placed at least 1 hour ahead of pick-up time for each predetermined match day. The burgers will be picked up at the exact same time from each restaurant in a match, and delivered to the judges at the exact same time. This is to insure that restaurants closer to the judging venue will not have an unfair temperature advantage.
So many awesome burgers, so little time! Since 2009, we have ranked all of the burgers we’ve tried that you our readers have recommended to us; close to 100 Mahoning Valley restaurants, bar & grills, taverns, pubs and diners. A very small percentage have been disappointing. Over the years, restaurants have moved up or down on our list and ones that no longer exist, obviously, have been removed. Our rankings are based primarily on our official visit but other things factor in, such as, comments from the public endorsing or criticizing, awards from any competitions, media awards, and anything else noteworthy. We do try to keep up with everything, but, occasionally we miss a closing or an award, so any assistance you can give us is much appreciated! We have overall rankings that will be published soon, but we also broke them down by county. Burgers reviewed in 2018 have not yet been ranked. We enjoyed ALL of the burgers on this list, just some more than others! Let us know how we did, or if we missed your favorite, so we can get them on the list! Click on the “Top 20” image below to view the current Mahoning County burger rankings.
After so many requests to see our complete Trumbull burger rankings, we put together the top 20. Keep in mind that ALL of these places have great or pretty darn good burgers! We’re only publishing the top 20, but, even #20 is worth a revisit! We ranked them based on the scores we gave them at the time of our review, any comments, positive or negative, that we receive from readers about them, surprise return visits, awards from any competitions, media awards and anything else noteworthy. We try to keep up on these awards and also restaurant closings so we can remove them. Any help you can give us with this is appreciated! Let us know what you think!
TRUMBULL COUNTY BURGER RANKINGS (Top 20 – 1/25/18)
- Big D’s Newton Grill – Newton Falls, OH
- Peter Allen Inn – Kinsman, OH
- The Lake Tavern – Mecca, OH
- Sunrise Inn – Warren, OH
- Raptis Family Restaurant – Howland, OH
- High Pointe Restaurant and Tavern – Niles, OH
- Station Square – Liberty, OH
- The New Manhattan – Hubbard, OH
- Niki’z Pub – Niles, OH
- Crossroads Bar & Grill – Southington, OH
- Shaker’s Bar & Grill – Liberty, OH
- StoneYard Tavern – Niles, OH
- The Lime Tree – Warren, OH
- Up-a-Creek – Howland, OH
- Courthouse Grill – Warren, OH
- JD’s Post House – Champion, OH
- Yankee Kitchen – Vienna, OH
- Master’s Bar & Grill – Liberty, OH
- Amen Corner – Girard, OH
- Leon’s Sports Bar & Grill – Howland, OH
Click HERE for a closer look at the top 5.
TOP 5 TRUMBULL COUNTY BURGERS
#5 – Raptis Family Restaurant
On State Route 46, North of Howland Corners, this quaint, hometown restaurant has a loyal base that swears by the food. We can testify that the hearty burgers are a savory delight! Raptis is home of the Howland Tiger Burger, a favorite among patrons. Check out our review of Raptis HERE.
#4 – Sunrise Inn of Warren
#3 – Peter Allen Inn
#2 – The Lake Tavern
Click HERE to read our review of Saadey’s Place at vindy.com!
The Mahoning county restaurants competing in this year’s Meat 16 Cheeseburger Challenge tournament:
- Bogey’s Bar & Grill – Lowellville
- Magic Tree Pub & Eatery – Boardman
- Phoenix Fire Grill & Bar – Canfield
- Davidson’s Restaurant & Bar – Cornersberg
- Coaches Burger Bar – Poland
- The Pour House – Canfield
- Mojo’s Pub – Austintown
- Ice House Inn – Austintown
The Trumbull county restaurants competing in this year’s Meat 16 Cheeseburger Challenge tournament:
- Big D’s Newton Grill – Newton Falls
- Peter Allen Inn – Kinsman
- Lake Tavern – Mecca
- Sunrise Inn – Warren
- Raptis Family Restaurant – Howland
- High Pointe Restaurant & Tavern – Niles
- Niki’z Pub – Niles
- The Lime Tree – Warren