Chefs – Start your grills! We’re less than 2 months away from the biggest cheeseburger tournament of it’s kind in Ohio, the 3rd annual Meat 16! The rules for this year’s competition are below. Good luck to all competitors and may the best burger win!The 2018 Meat 16 Rules:
- A change for this year – restaurants are to provide the same burger recipe, all the way through the tournament.
- Burgers that are entered must appear in on restaurant’s menu, even if it is only during the tournament. Several tournament followers during last year’s tournament expressed to us on Facebook and through CD 93.3, their disappointment in not being able to try for themselves the burgers they were hearing about on the radio and Facebook, when they visited the restaurants.
- Any toppings and condiments can be used, as long as they are on restaurant’s menu, during the Meat 16.
- All burgers will be ordered medium-well.
- For, “Build-your-own,” burgers, all components used in the recipe must be listed on restaurant’s menu during the tournament.
- Restaurants are to provide a copy of the menu with a full description of the burger.
- The orders for each of the preliminary rounds will always be the same; 2 medium-well cheeseburgers, with the toppings of the restaurant’s choice, cut in half, placed in 4 to-go boxes, (that BURGERGUYZ will provide at time of pick up).
- As in the 2017 Meat 16, each restaurant will be given a time, usually between 5:00 and 6:00 PM for pick up. Orders will be placed at least 1 hour ahead of pick-up time for each predetermined match day. The burgers will be picked up at the exact same time from each restaurant in a match, and delivered to the judges at the exact same time. This is to insure that restaurants closer to the judging venue will not have an unfair temperature advantage.
The Mahoning county restaurants competing in this year’s Meat 16 Cheeseburger Challenge tournament:
- Bogey’s Bar & Grill – Lowellville
- Magic Tree Pub & Eatery – Boardman
- Phoenix Fire Grill & Bar – Canfield
- Davidson’s Restaurant & Bar – Cornersberg
- Coaches Burger Bar – Poland
- The Pour House – Canfield
- Mojo’s Pub – Austintown
- Ice House Inn – Austintown
The Trumbull county restaurants competing in this year’s Meat 16 Cheeseburger Challenge tournament:
- Big D’s Newton Grill – Newton Falls
- Peter Allen Inn – Kinsman
- Lake Tavern – Mecca
- Sunrise Inn – Warren
- Raptis Family Restaurant – Howland
- High Pointe Restaurant & Tavern – Niles
- Niki’z Pub – Niles
- The Lime Tree – Warren
With less than four weeks until the Badurik’s Butcher Block Cheeseburger Challenge, there has been another major shake up. The BURGERGUYZ 2016 Burger of the Year award recipient, Fire Grill BBQ, has closed. It is reported that the Girard restaurant, that has been closed since Monday, January 9, was having financial problems. That opens the door for the next in line to compete, StoneYard Grill and Tavern of Niles. The tournament kicks off on February 8th and should take about a month until the final match between the top Mahoning County cheeseburger against the best from Trumbull County.
The 2017 Badurik’s Butcher Block Cheeseburger Challenge field of competitors is set, but not without a last minute Mahoning County shake-up.
After hundreds of comments on Facebook, burgerguyz.com and by email, Bogey’s Bar & Grill (Lowellville) is the clear choice for the last vacant slot in “The Meat 16,” which is slated to kick off on February 8th. To us, (BURGERGUYZ), Bogey’s is burger royalty and we are ecstatic that they will be in the tournament again. Last year they were eliminated in round 1 due to a miscommunication/misunderstanding, but this year, Chef Mel is confident and ready to fire up the grill!
Unexpectedly, we received a message from one of last years 2nd round losers, stating they did not want to enter their burgers. We can only speculate why, but that opens up another slot which we went to our message pool and selected The Village Pump (Canfield).
Welcome and congratulations to Bogey’s Bar & Grill, The Village Pump, and Big D’s Newton Grill on being voted into this tournament by the people of the Mahoning Valley for having “the best burger!”
Good luck to all of this year’s competitors and may the best burger win!
Congratulations to Big D’s Newton Grill on being selected as the final Trumbull County entrant in the Badurik’s Butcher Block Cheeseburger Challenge that begins next month. Big D’s loyal patrons got word of the challenge and flooded, (…and I do mean flooded!), the BURGERGUYZ with messages of endorsement. The tournament, dubbed the “Meat 16,” has 8 Trumbull County eateries battle it out in a play-off format with the finalist facing-off against the winner from 8 Mahoning County eateries. Now, just one slot remains vacant. If you have a favorite Mahoning County burger let us know and give them a shot at the 2017 Cheeseburger Challenge Cup and CHEESEBURGER GLORY!!