May the best burger win! The Badurik’s Butcher Block Meat 16 Cheeseburger Challenge starts next month, and the competitors are ready to strut their stuff! The 16 restaurants, taverns and pubs, (who make some of the best burgers WE have ever had), are each creating a burger that they think will take home the tournament trophy.
- Bogey’s Bar & Grill, Lowellville
- Magic Tree Pub & Eatery, Boardman
- Phoenix Fire Grill & Spirits, Canfield
- Davidson’s Restaurant & Tavern, Cornersburg
- Coaches Burger Bar, Poland
- Mojo’s Pub, Austintown
- The Pour House, Canfield
- Ice House Inn, Austintown
- Big D’s Newton Grill, Newton Falls (2017 champion)
- Peter Allen Inn, Kinsman
- Lake Tavern, Mecca
- Sunrise Inn, Warren
- Raptis Family Restaurant, Howland
- Niki’z Pub, Niles
- High Pointe Restaurant & Tavern, Niles
- The Lime Tree, Warren
Check out the March 28th edition of Valley Food, (The Vindicator), to see the 1st round pairings, rules and thoughts from a few of the competing chefs. Follow the tournament on our Facebook page and our blog at www.vindy.com/weblogs/burgers.
Put another dime in the jukebox, baby! Check out our rock n roll burger review at Mojo’s Pub N Grill, HERE!
After nine years of trekking through and around the Mahoning valley in a quest to find the best burgers, we have come to the conclusion: Man, there’s a lot of great burgers around here!
The last time we published our overall MV rankings was in 2014. A lot of places have come and gone since then, and many of the places that we have visited have stepped up their burger game, so, we decided to do it again.
Four years ago, Chef Mel McKee, from Bogey’s Bar & Grill, in Lowellville, put together an awesome burger menu with so many delicious, unique toppings that we unanimously voted them in at #1. Can they hold on to the top ranking or has one of the 47 restaurants we’ve reviewed since then, unseated them? Click on the “Top 40” image at the bottom of the page to see the current top 40 burgers of the valley.
Here’s a little insight as to how we rank them;
- Our visit. The biggest factor is based on our initial visit. We have a scorecard for each burger we try. We scrutinize the beef, the bun, the toppings, sauces, and sides. Then we take into account, cleanliness, the service, and the atmosphere.
- Competitions. Entering competitions and losing will not cause a drop in the rankings, but we do factor in any awards that are won.
- Media recognition. Any awards from newspapers, magazines, or websites, such as, Best of the Best and Peoples Choice, also count.
- Revisit. We listen to all of the comments and opinions on our social media posts, good, bad, and ugly, which sometimes leads to a revisit.
So many awesome burgers, so little time! Since 2009, we have ranked all of the burgers we’ve tried that you our readers have recommended to us; close to 100 Mahoning Valley restaurants, bar & grills, taverns, pubs and diners. A very small percentage have been disappointing. Over the years, restaurants have moved up or down on our list and ones that no longer exist, obviously, have been removed. Our rankings are based primarily on our official visit but other things factor in, such as, comments from the public endorsing or criticizing, awards from any competitions, media awards, and anything else noteworthy. We do try to keep up with everything, but, occasionally we miss a closing or an award, so any assistance you can give us is much appreciated! We have overall rankings that will be published soon, but we also broke them down by county. Burgers reviewed in 2018 have not yet been ranked. We enjoyed ALL of the burgers on this list, just some more than others! Let us know how we did, or if we missed your favorite, so we can get them on the list! Click on the “Top 20” image below to view the current Mahoning County burger rankings.
After so many requests to see our complete Trumbull burger rankings, we put together the top 20. Keep in mind that ALL of these places have great or pretty darn good burgers! We’re only publishing the top 20, but, even #20 is worth a revisit! We ranked them based on the scores we gave them at the time of our review, any comments, positive or negative, that we receive from readers about them, surprise return visits, awards from any competitions, media awards and anything else noteworthy. We try to keep up on these awards and also restaurant closings so we can remove them. Any help you can give us with this is appreciated! Let us know what you think!
TRUMBULL COUNTY BURGER RANKINGS (Top 20 – 1/25/18)
- Big D’s Newton Grill – Newton Falls, OH
- Peter Allen Inn – Kinsman, OH
- The Lake Tavern – Mecca, OH
- Sunrise Inn – Warren, OH
- Raptis Family Restaurant – Howland, OH
- High Pointe Restaurant and Tavern – Niles, OH
- Station Square – Liberty, OH
- The New Manhattan – Hubbard, OH
- Niki’z Pub – Niles, OH
- Crossroads Bar & Grill – Southington, OH
- Shaker’s Bar & Grill – Liberty, OH
- StoneYard Tavern – Niles, OH
- The Lime Tree – Warren, OH
- Up-a-Creek – Howland, OH
- Courthouse Grill – Warren, OH
- JD’s Post House – Champion, OH
- Yankee Kitchen – Vienna, OH
- Master’s Bar & Grill – Liberty, OH
- Amen Corner – Girard, OH
- Leon’s Sports Bar & Grill – Howland, OH
Click HERE for a closer look at the top 5.