By Don Johnson
Albuquerque – Tucked in a corner off the midway at the 2017 New Mexico State Fair, a dinner bell was rang by the newly crowned state fair queen Erin Christina Arko who yelled to 12 competitors to “Start your grills”. With that, the 2017 New Mexico State Fair Green Chili Cheeseburger Challenge was under way. Competitors from across the state worked diligently to prepare their best chili-cheeseburger featuring the famed green chilies grown in New Mexico, the chili capital of the world.
After the first burger was turned in, a steady parade of green chili cheeseburgers flowed into the judging room. Upon each arrival, Judges Howard McCall, Jennifer Davis, Pete Kassetes, Kristen Currie, and Glenn Meghee were given a burger sample from which they derived their scores. When it was and eaten and done, the scores were counted.
The 2017 Green Chili Cheeseburger Champion is Sparky’s Burgers (Hatch NM) followed by Fuddruckers (Albuquerque NM) and Oak Tree Café (Albuquerque NM). The People’s Choice award winner is OSO Grill (Capitan NM).
El Bruno’s Restaurant – Cuba
Sparky’s Burgers, BBQ & Espresso – Hatch
The Eklund – Clayton
Starr Brothers Brewing – Albuquerque
Village Café – Los Lunas
Rockin’ BZ Burgers – Alamogordo
Whole Foods Market – Sandia Saloon – Albuquerque
Oso Grill — Capitan
Fat Sats Bar & Grill – Belen
Oak Tree Café – Albuquerque
Fuddruckers – Albuquerque
The Pointe Grill – Rio Rancho
Sadie’s of New Mexico – Los Ranchos
Big Mike’s Grill – Belen
Big D’s has the burger you’re looking for. Click a pic to check out some of the deliciousness created by owner/chef Ron Dillon
All aboard the Emerald Diner! Check out our review of the Emerald Diner HERE.
Check out our review of the burgers at JR’z Pub here, or click the pic…
The Phoenix Fire Grill & Bar burgers are a beautiful thing! Click HERE to read the review.
As the crumbs settle from the 2017 Meat 16 Cheeseburger Challenge, we have already commenced planning for 2018. The interest we have received through The Vindicator, WFMJ News, Fast Freddie and 93.3 The Wolf and Facebook was amazing! Although the tournament ran smoothly for the most part, we feel it necessary to make a few adjustments to the rules.
2018 Meat 16 UCC Rules
- For each round, restaurants provide two identical cheeseburgers from their menu, cooked medium-well.
- Each entry must be accompanied by a well written description.
- Cheeseburgers must be cut in half and placed in unmarked containers that will be provided by BURGERGUYZ.
- There can be no evidence as to where each cheeseburger is from.
- All cheeseburgers entered must appear on the restaurant menu before February, 2018.
- Restaurants can use the same cheeseburger for each round or they can change to another, as long as it’s on their menu.
- Cheeseburgers will be ordered at least 1 hour before pick-up time.
- Pick-up times will be exactly the same for both competitors in each specific match and the cheeseburgers must be ready to go, on time.
- The burgers from both competitors will be delivered to the judges at exactly the same time to insure fairness.
- A board of three judges will be used for each match. Two of their votes are needed to advance.
- Once a match is set, it will only be rescheduled if one of our curriers cancels due to emergency or in the event of an emergency that forces one of the competitors to close their kitchen.
All entrants are locally owned restaurants. No national chain restaurants. Local chain restaurants are allowed. The county champ and runner-up are invited back as the 1 and 2 seed, respectively, in their side of the bracket. The remaining spots will be filled ASAP by; A) popular demand through Facebook comments and messages and email messages. B) restaurant owner requests entry.
- Big D’s Newton Pub, Newton Falls
- Niki’z Pub, Niles
- The Lime Tree, Warren
- High Pointe Restaurant & Tavern, Niles
- The Lake Tavern, Mecca
- 3 Way Cafe, Cortland
- Davidson’s Restaurant/Tavern, Cornersberg
- The Pour House Bar & Grill, Canfield
- Bogey’s Bar & Grill, Lowellville
- Magic Tree Pub & Eatery, Boardman
- Coaches Burger Bar, Poland
- Phoenix Fire Grill and Bar, Canfield
- Lanai Lounge, Boardman
- Ice House Inn, Austintown
Signing up is simple! Leave a comment or message here or on BURGERGUYZ Facebook page or write us at firstname.lastname@example.org